Things in this new pandemic normal are starting to feel more.. normal? I had a bit of a slump earlier this month, but I’m happy to come out of the month with a total of 6 finished books which I’m happy with. I’m now 2/3 of the way through my summer semester and it’s been a toll on my mental energy, which may be what affected my reading, who who knows. Anyway, I overall read only queer books for Pride month! My only exception was Code Name Verity which was for a buddy-read. I discovered some amazing books this month, though, and The Stars and the Blackness Between Them is one of my new favourites. If you’ve been eyeing that one, I highly recommend checking it out.
1) The Lady’s Guide to Celestial Mechanics by Olivia Waite (⭐️⭐️⭐️)
2) The Henna Warsby Abida Jaigirdar (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️)
3) Cinderella is Dead by Kalynn Bayron (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️)
4) The Stars and the Blackness Between Them by Junauda Petrus (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️)
5) Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (⭐️⭐️)
6) Rules for Vanishing by Kate Alice Marshall (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️)
My goal during this pandemic has been to really bring down my physical tbr pile, and while I’ve gotten it down a bit, as you can see I’m not doing that well. Plus I still have some books coming in July and others I’ve ordered that aren’t shipped yet. There’s been so many great releases, plus the extra motivation to buy new releases to support Black authors. A lot of the ones I purchased were backordered, so I’ll be seeing more come in July.
1) The Skin We’re In by Desmond Cole
2) This is How You Lose the time War by Amal El-Mohtar
3) The Stars and the Blackness Between Them by Junauda Petrus
4) The Girl Who Lived Twice by David Lagercrantz
5) Questioning Library Neutrality Edited by Alison Lewis
6) White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo
Overall, these past months have flown by. I can’t believe we’re in July already and only a few weeks from my birthday. My world kinda stopped in March and not much has happened since, and not much will be happening this summer, so by the time I’m out more it’ll be back to cooler weather.
Did you discover any new favourites in June?